Friday, January 26, 2018

Experiment #2

Here is my Experiment 2, which is to write a children's book.


No time to pack.
We left with what was on our backs.

I carry crayons, crafts, and clothes.
My mom with worry, wishes, and woes.

We board the big train turning a color of rusty brown.
As we take off, I wave goodbye to my home town.

To the tall trees that I would climb.
Oak, Maple, and Pine.

To the big blue lake
And the bakery's chocolate cake.

To the roads I walked each day.
The events at school like sports and plays.

"Why do we have to go?" I ask with a sigh.
Mom says "This country is built on lies."

Confused, I ask her "Why do they lie to us?"
"Many people dislike you and I. Greed speckles them like dust."

Ending the conversation, she says "Think of this as a trip, a very long one."
"To a place where the clouds always cover the sun."

"Close your eyes and rest, our journey will be rough."
"However, the world does not know that we are tough."

Fast asleep, I dream of my warm bed.
The smell of mom's sweet pies and cakes waft around my head.

Cherry and berry pies with vanilla ice cream on the side.
A pantry packed tall and wide.

I dream of the green front door that greets me with a creak
And the faucet that sometimes leaks.

Of my mom's laughter
And the big smile she has after.

I dream of the huge window in my room that I look out.
To see my friends, pets, streets, and routes.

My birthday parties since I was seven
And play dates with Kelly, Kendall, and Kevin.

I dream of coloring at the kitchen table
And reading fairy tales and fables.

The times grandma stayed in the loft
And when she made chicken soup to help my cough.

I dream of riding my bike in the yard
And when I got an A on a test that was hard.

The cozy fires during the winter cold
And the summer lemonade I sold.

I dream of the parks near by
And the clear blue sky.

What reminds you of home?
A place I am now so far from.




1 comment:

  1. This one was my favorite line:

    "Of my mom's laughter
    And the big smile she has after."

    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Giorgos Seferis